Exo (Korean: 엑소) are a South Korean-Chinese boy band produced by S.M. Entertainment. Formed in 2011 in Seoul, South Korea, Exo comprises twelve members separated into two subgroups, Exo-K and Exo-M, performing music in Korean and Mandarin, respectively. Their name was taken from exoplanet, a term referring to planets outside of the Solar System.
Exo made their official debut on April 8, 2012 with the release of their debut single, “Mama”. The single was a moderate success; Exo-M’s version topped mainland Chinese music charts after only one day of release, and Exo-K’s “Mama” music video reached to number seven on YouTube’s Global Chart. The group’s two albums, the 2012 debut EP Mama and the 2013 comeback studio album XOXO, were major commercial successes, selling over 1.5 million units in total worldwide. With XOXO, Exo became the youngest boy band to win Album of the Year at the Mnet Asian Music Awards, and the fastest-selling K-pop artist in twelve years. The lead singles off XOXO, “Wolf” and “Growl”, were K-pop hits, landing first place trophies on music shows from all three of Korea’s major free-to-air broadcast stations. The latter also peaked at number three on Billboard‘s Korea K-Pop Hot 100 chart.
In May 2014 member Kris has started a lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment to nullify his contract, as of the submission date of the lawsuit the band promotes with 11 members.
The group received numerous rookie awards in 2012, and has since won over forty awards.
In January 2011, producer Lee Soo-Man of SM Entertainment announced his plans to debut a new boy band in March or April 2011.Temporarily named M1, the group appeared to have consisted of only seven members when a photo of them in a dance studio was leaked online. In May 2011, Lee spoke about the group in a Hallyu business seminar held in Stanford University. In the presentation, he explained his strategy of separating the whole group into two subgroups, M1 and M2, to have them promote the same music in South Korea and China, performing the songs in Korean and Mandarin. Lee planned to launch the group in May 2011 but their debut was delayed and news concerning the group did not surface until October 2011 when Lee briefly discussed about the group’s concept plans in an interview with The Chosun Ilbo.
In December 2011, the group finalised their name to Exo, with the names Exo-K for the South Korean subgroup and Exo-M for the Chinese subgroup. The twelve members were introduced individually through twenty-three different trailers released from December 2011 to February 2012.Kai, Lu Han, Tao, and Chen were the first four members introduced, who debuted their first public performance at the SBS’s Gayo Daejun event on December 29, 2011.
2012: Debut, Mama
Exo-K and Exo-M’s prologue single What Is Love was released on January 30, 2012 through iTunes and various online retailers from China and South Korea. The single peaked at number eighty-eight on South Korea’s Gaon Single Chart. On March 9, the group released their second prologue single History, which was written and produced by Thomas Troelsen and Remee. The single peaked at number sixty-eight on the Gaon Single Chart and number six on China’s Sina Music Chart.
A concert showcase for the group was held in Seoul’s Olympic Stadium on March 31, which was a hundred days after Exo debuted their first trailer on December 21, 2011. Approximately 3,000 fans from 8,000 applicants were selected to attend the showcase. A second showcase was held in the Great Hall of the University of International Business and Economics in Beijing, China on April 1.
Exo-K and Exo-M released their debut single Mama on April 8 followed by an EP, Mama on April 9. On the 8th April, Exo-K made their debut performance on South Korea’s music program The Music Trend, while Exo-M performed at China’s 12th Yinyue Fengyun Bang Awards on the same day. A day after release, Mama reached number one on various Chinese online retailers and music charts. Exo-M’s album reached number two on China’s Sina Album Chart, number five on South Korea’s Gaon Album Chart and at number twelve on the Billboard World Albums Chart. Exo-K’s album peaked at number one on the Gaon Album Chart and at number eight on the Billboard World Albums Chart.Exo-M’s Mama music video got to number one on Chinese streaming websites and Exo-K’s version reached to number seven on YouTube’s Global Chart. In late April 2012, Exo-M performed as a guest act for Super Junior’s Super Show 4 concert tour in Jakarta, Indonesia.
In November 2012, Exo won Best New Asian Artist Group at the 2012 Mnet Asian Music Awards. Exo-K received three nominations at the 27th Golden Disk Awards, winning the Newcomer Award. Exo-M received the Most Popular Group award at the 2013 Top Chinese Music Awards.
2013: XOXO and commercial success
In May 2013, S.M. Entertainment revealed teaser photos for Exo’s comeback album, the first studio album XOXO. Unlike during the Mama era, when Exo-K and Exo-M had separate promotions, XOXO was jointly promoted. The subgroups collaborated for the album’s lead single, “Wolf”, but the rest of the album was recorded separately.
XOXO was released in June 2013 to two versions, a Korean “Kiss” edition and a Mandarin “Hug” edition. A few days after its release, the songs in XOXO topped almost every real-time chart from online music websites of South Korea and mainland China. The two versions collectively peaked at number one on the Billboard World Album Chart a week after release.Lead single “Wolf” peaked at number one on three of South Korea’s music programs, earning the name “triple win.” “Wolf” also won a trophy on MBC Music’s Show Champion. However, “Wolf” fared worse on music download charts, reaching to only top thirty spots in recorded charts from both South Korea and China.
A repackaged version of XOXO, with three additional tracks, was released on August 5, 2013. The reissue’s lead single, “Growl”, was unveiled via YouTube on August 1, 2013, in the format of a music video. On August 18, “Growl” achieved 10,554 points on The Music Trend charts, setting a new number one record on the show. “Growl” reached number one on all four of Korea’s major music programs, winning a total of ten trophies in three consecutive weeks. The single peaked at number three on Billboard’s Korea K-Pop Hot 100 and number two on the Gaon’s Singles chart.As of October 2013, all versions of XOXO have collectively sold over 910,000 copies, breaking the record for being fastest-selling K-pop artist in twelve years. XOXO was named Album of the Year at the 2013 Mnet Asian Music Awards, making Exo the youngest ever boy band to win the award. The album’s single “Growl” was also honored Song of the Year at the 2013 MelOn Music Awards.
Exo began working on their comeback EP Miracles in December shortly after completing the promotional cycle for XOXO. In October 2013, Exo-M confirmed in an interview for IQIYI that the members are currently working on new material and told fans to not believe in rumors regarding their comeback. The EP, consisting of six tracks, had pre-sale orders amassing over 400,000, hitting a new record. Miracles in December was officially released December 9, 2013 through South Korean commercial outlets and online music stores. Exo jump-started album promotions through their reality show EXO’s Showtime, which premiered on November 28, 2013 on the cable channel MBC Every 1. Baekhyun, Chen, and D.O. performed the EP’s lead single, “Miracles in December”, at M! Countdown on December 5.
2014: Overdose, Kris’ lawsuit and Fanclub Production
On 1 April 2014, SM Entertainment announced that EXO will be having a comeback on April 15. The company then began to reveal individual teaser photos. The title track of the upcoming album will be called “Overdose”.
On April 15 at 8PM (KST), EXO held their comeback showcase, broadcast live online through Samsung Music, where they revealed their performance and music video for “Overdose” for the first time. They also performed to their major hit songs. EXO-K and EXO-M will be separate for promotions for “Overdose,” promoting in Korea and China at the same time.
Due to South Korea’s ferry accident, EXO-K who originally scheduled to make their comeback stage on April 18 at Music Bank, on April 19 at Music Core and on April 20 at Inkigayo have decided to postpone to next week. EXO-M will attend their comeback stage at Global Chinese Music on April 19 as scheduled. Their 2nd mini album which suppose to be released online and offline on April 21 also have been rescheduled to May 7, 2014.
EXO’s “Overdose” performed exceptionally well on real-time music charts, achieving an ‘all-kill’ within just seven hours of its release.
On May 15 2014, member and leader of EXO-M Kris has filed a lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment to nullify his contract, as of the submission date of the lawsuit the band promotes with 11 members.
In August 2014, S.M. Entertainment officially announced EXO’s fandom name, “EXO-L”. The logic behind the name is the letter “L” in “EXO-L” stands for “Love”. The letter “L” also goes between the letters K and M in alphabetical order, the letter represents fans that show their avid support for both of the group’s sub-units, “EXO-K” and “EXO-M. The letter “L” is also the twelfth letter in the English alphabet, signifying the twelve members of Exo before Kris’ leave. The group as well as launched an official app and website release for their fanclub, EXO-L’s official Korean website and the app, EXO-L’s official Android application page. EXO is the first K-pop band to launch an app in the K-pop Entertainment Industry. The app is only available to Android users currently, an Apple release date is yet to be scheduled. As of August 8th, the website has garnered a total of 1,013,622 members and counting, as the site has encountered technically difficulties due to heavy traffic. S.M. Entertainment has expressed their appreciation for the fans support as they fix both the app and website.
- Mnet Asian Music Awards – Best New Asian Artist Group (EXO)
- Tower Record (K-Pop Lovers! Awards) – Best Rookie of the Year First-Half (EXO)
- Mengniu Music Billboard Festival – Most Popular Group of the Year (EXO-M)
- Mengniu Music Billboard Festival – Best Dressed Award (EXO)
- Korean Entertainment Art Awards Rookie Singer Award (EXO-K)
- Arirang’s Simply K-Pop Awards – Super Idol Rookie of the Year (EXO-K)
- SBS PopAsia Awards – Best Rookie Group (EXO)
- SBS PopAsia Awards – MV of the Year: History (EXO-K)
- Golden Disk Awards – Best Newcomer (EXO-K)
- KBS Music Festival “Song Of The Year” (EXO – Growl)
- Melon Music Awards – Top 10 Bonsang (EXO)
- Melon Music Awards – Song of the Year Daesang (EXO)
- Melon Music Awards – Netizen Popularity Award (EXO)
- Mnet Asian Music Awards – Album Of The Year (EXO – XOXO)
- MTV Europe Music Awards – Best Japan and Korean Act (EXO)
- MTV Europe Music Awards – Best Korean Act (EXO)
- Seoul Music Awards – Best Newcomer (EXO)
- Top Chinese Music Awards – Most Popular Group (EXO)
- Yinyuetai V-Chart Awards – Mainland China’s Most Popular Artist (EXO-M)
- Yinyuetai V-Chart Awards – Mainland China’s Best Rookie Group (EXO-M)
- 6th Top Chinese Music Billboard Awards – Most Popular Group of the Year (EXO-M)
- 6th Top Chinese Music Billboard Awards – Best Group Award (EXO)
- 1st Hawaii International Music Awards Festival – Artist Of The Year (EXO)
- Asia Young Style Awards – Most Popular Group (EXO)
- 2013 Korean Updates Awards – Greatest Achievement of the Year Award (EXO)
- 2013 Baidu Music Awards – Most Popular Group Award (EXO)
- 2013 Eat Your Kimchi Youtube Awards – Best Dance of the Year (EXO – Growl)
- So-Loved Awards – Best Album (EXO – XOXO)
- So-Loved Awards – Best Song (EXO – Growl)
- Soompi Awards – Top Male Group
- Soompi Awards – Song Of The Year (EXO – Growl)
- Allkpop Awards – Best Male Goup (EXO)
- Golden Disk Awards – Disk Daesang Award (EXO – XOXO)
- Golden Disk Awards – Disk Bonsang Award (EXO – XOXO)
- Seoul Music Awards – Bonsang Award (EXO – XOXO)
- Seoul Music Awards – Record of the Year Digital (EXO – Growl)
- Seoul Music Awards – Daesang (EXO)
- Gaon Chart Kpop Awards – Mobile Popularity Award (EXO)
- Gaon Chart Kpop Awards – Album of the Year 3rd Quarter (EXO – XOXO)
- Gaon Chart Kpop Awards – Album of the Year 4th Quarter (EXO – Miracles in December)
- iF Design Awards – Best Packaging Design (EXO – XOXO)
- iF Design Awards – Best Packaging Design (EXO – Growl)
- Korean Entertainment Art Awards – Group Singer Award (EXO)
- Korean Music Awards – Musician of the Year (Group – EXO)
- Korean Music Awards – Best Dance & Electronic Song (EXO – Growl)
- 2nd Yinyuetai V-Chart Awards – Album of the Year — Korea (EXO – XOXO)
- Gaon Weibo Chart – Group Awards (EXO)
- World Music Awards – World’s Best Selling Korean Artist (EXO)
- World Music Awards – World’s Best Song (EXO – Growl)
- 26th Korean PD Awards – Singer/Performer Award (EXO)
- 18th Chinese Music Awards – Asia’s Most Influential Group Award (EXO)
Totals Awards Won: 51 Awards
Source : Wikipedia